Why you can’t afford to not hire a breakup and divorce coach.
Mar 18, 2023
Divorce or the breakup of a long-term relationship is the second most traumatic event you can go through in your lifetime, second only to the death of a loved one.
Your life can be turned upside down overnight, leaving you on an emotional rollercoaster with no idea what the future holds for you. All the hopes and dreams you had for your future with your ex, gone in the blink of an eye.
There’s no denying how tough it can be to get over a breakup and move on with your life, especially if it wasn’t something you wanted. This is where a breakup and divorce coach should be a key member of your support team, alongside your solicitor and financial adviser.
A coach will support you with the emotional and practical challenges of your breakup. They help you to cope with your emotions so that they don't end up hijacking the process which allows you to make more objective decisions for your future. They will help you to navigate all the changes and decide what you want for your future whilst holding your hand through the process and being your biggest cheerleader. They teach you the tools, techniques and strategies to help you heal after your divorce so that you can start moving on with your life and create a compelling vision for this next chapter.
Coaching is very different to therapy. It’s much more future focused and goal oriented. We don’t spend much time going over what’s happened, or dwelling on the past, as that can just keep you stuck. Coaching is all about helping you to move on with your life as quickly as possible.
So, in a time when it might feel like hiring a divorce coach is just another expense on top of legal fees and other expenses, here’s 10 reasons why you can’t afford not to work with a coach.
- Saves time and money – Solicitors are highly trained and experts at dealing with all the legal aspects of your divorce. Even though they are very understanding and empathetic, they are not specialists in supporting you with the emotional challenges of your divorce. And they are more expensive than a divorce coach. Although you might feel better temporarily, using your solicitor to ‘download’ to is not the best use of your time and money. A divorce coach is trained in helping you to take your control back and cope better with your emotions. This means your meetings with your solicitor are then more focused, and productive, and therefore cost efficient. You can use your time with your solicitor to discuss the legal and financial matters and focus on your healing with your coach
- Enables you to set goals – A breakup is a time of huge change which can be stressful and overwhelming, resulting in feelings of fear and anxiety. A coach can work with you to help you gain clarity about what needs to be done in the short term and break it down into manageable chunks. They are there to support you and hold you accountable when needed so that you keep moving forward.
- Helps you to evaluate your options – and gives you the clarity to make better decisions. Some life changing decisions have to be made during the divorce process which can feel overwhelming when you don’t have the emotional capacity to deal with it eg do you stay in the marital home or start afresh in a new one and what do the arrangements for the children need to be. A coach can help you to objectively work through the various options and decide which would be best for you and the children.
- Teaches you how to cope with your emotions – coaching will empower you with the tools, techniques, and strategies that you need to get through your breakup. It helps you to dial down the intensity of all the negative emotions and to take back your control. You then have these skills for life to support you in other challenging situations you may face in future. Being able to cope with your emotions whilst you’re on this emotional rollercoaster determines how you show up in the process and the results you achieve.
- Enables you to continue showing up – as you need to in your career, life, and other relationships. Let’s face it, it can be as much as you can manage to just get through the day, let alone perform in your business or career and be there for the other relationships in your life. A coach will give you the support you need so you can continue to show up in these other areas of your life whilst looking after yourself and making sure your needs are also met.
- Provides an objective and non-judgemental sounding board – Even though their heart might be in the right place, friends and family find it difficult to remain impartial as they’re too close to the situation and they don’t always give the best advice. A coach will hold space for you, listen to you without judgement, and have your best interests at heart, at all times.
- Gives you the freedom to move on - by helping you to find closure on what’s happened, work through the guilt, and let go of the past so that you can live a life that’s better than before and where you feel happier and stronger.
- Facilitates your personal and emotional growth – by helping you to learn from the past and raising your awareness of patterns of behaviour so you don’t repeat them in future. There are always learnings from challenges we face in life that provide us with opportunities in our future.
- Supports you in reassessing your life – and viewing what’s happened as an opportunity. Your future may not be what you expected or planned for, but it’s a blank canvas. Your coach will encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and make the most of opportunities that come your way. It may be that you decide to move area, start a new career, start a business, go travelling or take up a new hobby. Now’s the opportunity to think about what you couldn’t do whilst you were in your relationship and start ticking things off your bucket list.
- Shares their network with you – a coach will have many trusted professional contacts that you may need during the divorce process and beyond such as solicitors, financial advisers, accountants, estate agents, will writers, therapists, parent coaches and many more.
I have developed my bespoke 1:1 coaching program full of the tools, techniques, and strategies that you need to fast track your healing after your breakup so that you can start living a life that you're excited to wake up to again.
One that's even 'BETTER THAN BEFORE'
Firstly I help you to take your control back and EMPOWER you with tools from Positive Psychology so that you have your own toolkit which will help you to quickly shift your mood and avoid the dark moments.
Next I help you to build up your RESILIENCE AND RELEASE all the negative thoughts that keep you trapped in the past so that you can build the new life you deserve.
This is a deep clean for your mind and it's crucial to be able to move on and find happiness again.
Finally, I help you to REDISCOVER THE REAL YOU – This is you mark II.
It’s time to burst out of the box and claim your big new life.
I'm passionate about this program because it's exactly what I needed, and I've seen the results it gets for my clients.
If this sounds like just what you need, then you can book in some time to have a free, no obligation chat using the link below.
Stay connected with my weekly email!
If you found this blog helpful then sign up to my mailing list to receive a weekly dose of tips and inspiration to support you during this time.
Your information will not be shared.
Book your free clarity call
Coaching can support you with the practical and emotional challenges of your breakup, so that you can emerge from it feeling happier and stronger than ever before.
If this is something you’re interested in, then you can book a free no obligation call here: